Orthodox Asceticism and Spirituality for the Modern World

Orthodox Asceticism and Spirituality for the Modern World

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Welcome to My New Blog

For some time now, I have wanted to start this blog.  (Actually, I wanted to start it pretty much when I first decided to convert to the Orthodox Church.)  However, I wanted to make sure that I had a firm enough grasp of Orthodox theology, spirituality and asceticism (they all go hand-in-hand) before I did so.

If you followed my other blog, then you will notice that this is in some ways a clear departure from my spiritual writings of a couple of years ago, since in the past I wrote (and lived my life) from more of a taoist/buddhist slant.  And, yet, my conversion to Orthodox Christianity clearly flows from a life lived in search of the true spiritual life.

This blog will focus on a few things.  First and foremost, it will be dedicated to living an Orthodox ascetic life in the modern world.  (Something, by the way, which is not always easy to do.)  There are many other writers far more skilled and far wiser than I when it comes to the Orthodox Church - I will include plenty of links to other articles instead of just my own paltry attempts.

Second, it will include articles by myself  and others on making the journey from Asian religions/spiritualities to Orthodoxy.  For those of you interested in the religions of the Far East, I think you will find much to love in Orthodox asceticism and in the inner life of the saints of the Church.

Third - and I must make myself clear on this point - it is to help bring others into the embrace of the One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church.  I believe that Christianity finds its fullness in the Orthodox Church.

More on all of these things in future blog posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment